Welcome to the online resume and portfolios of Jim O'Brien,
passionate User Interface (UI) Designer and evangelist of the user experience.
For more than 15 years, I have worn many hats and many name tags: Web Site Designer,
Senior Web Developer, Manager of Web Integration, User Interface Designer,
Senior Information Architect, Product Designer, Senior User Experience Designer, Senior Interaction Designer, etc. When I am not designing,
I have been known to play the role of a Project Manager, a Team Lead,
and even a Business Analyst. People still ask what it is I do.
In short, I help plan and design web sites and applications to be more user-friendly and easy to use so users can accomplish their goals and businesses can ultimately be even more successful.
- Web site and Intranet design.
- Software application design (mainly web-based, but some thick-client too).
- Evaluations, task flows, storyboards, wireframes, prototypes, and design specifications.
- Design processes.
- Usability (Certified Usability Analyst).
- Hand-coding validated HTML, XHTML, and CSS.
- Search engine optimization.
A well-designed user experience can help a business:
- Establish a professional Internet presence.
- Differentiate itself from the competition.
- Bolster its brand.
- Improve customer retention.
- Improve the usability and overall user experience of an existing site or application.
- Increase ROI.
- Reduce rework.
- Improve conversion rates.
- Reduce incoming phone calls.
- Decrease training required.
- Prevent users from wishing they did not have to use your site or application.
If you take your users' experience seriously, value usability, and support the role of a professional, experienced designer, then I can help.